Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pumpkin Investigation

Hey there Pumpkin! :)

Hope your day was as fun and filled with learning as mine was! (This week my pumpkin learning was a lot less stinky)

Today we had a great time learning about pumpkins and doing our Pumpkin Investigation! I actually got this idea from a great mentor teacher in college. Tammi was one of those teachers who changed your life! She taught me so much in such a short amount of time... so this post is dedicated to Tammi!


Well, you can't have a Pumpkin Investigation without a
fabulous pumpkin outfit! :) I found this baby at goodwill
and HAD to have it! Bringing back the vest! lol

The investigation started with 2 pumpkins!
our pumpkin & the pumpkin

Looking at these pumpkins and pulling from our schema,
we filled out the Old Information & Questions sections
in our schema folders. I completed a class folder while the students 
filled out their individual schema folder. (The free file is on my TPT)

Here is the inside of the student schema folder

Here are some student samples


We read this great book called how many seeds in a pumpkin?
It is an AMAZING book that gives some great information about how
to count the seeds, and how you can guess which pumpkin will have more seeds!

Next, it was time to get busy! We got to put our hands into the pumpkin
and pull out the seeds and pulp! What a mess... but lots of fun!

Once the seeds were all rinsed off we counted our seeds by 2's, 5's, and 10's


Then, I wanted to talk with the students about being a Scientist!
We read this book and went through the I am a Scientist song and
powerpoint from Dr. Jean. We discussed making a hypothesis.

We came up with a hypothesis based around the idea that our pumpkin
would have more seeds because it was bigger.
Then, we came up with another hypothesis that the pumpkin would
have more seeds because it is darker orange and has more lines. 


Then, we read Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden.
If you have not read this book to your students it is a MUST! The
vocabulary is AMAZING! We were able to do a word hunt for adjectives!

To end the day the students got to read and color their own 
Pumpkin life cycle books. I made these quick for my class this weekend.

Thank you for stoping by! Happy pumpkin fun to you!


1 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower! I just started blogging today and I would love for you to stop by my blog if you ever get a chance. I am doing pumpkins this week and I love how you incorporated being a scientist into your lesson!!

    ReplyDelete