Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Recycling Superheroes!!

I absolutely love Earth Day! It has something I have been passionate about for some time. Here are some of the fun things I have enjoyed!

MUST HAVE BOOK(S)!



We read Michael Recycle & Michael Recycle Meets Litterbug Doug and the students LOVED every minute of it! Ellie Bethel is amazing! She has some other ones on Amazon that look great!



Once we read these, we used these great recycle boxes I got from Oriental Trading. They were well worth the money and they have held up now through three years of students using and sorting them. There are 6 boxes. It breaks it down into the following groups: Aluminum, Plastic, Paper, Compost, Glass, and Cardboard! There are cardboard pieces with great graphics of all types of items that fit into the boxes. They are sturdy!


Then, we had a group discussion about where our trash goes and how we can reuse, reduce, and recycle. Cara Carroll has a great items on TPT that was an extra addition this year and I loved it! Check it out by clicking HERE! She has some great writing and crafts. She even has one craft that goes perfectly with the super hero theme :)


Then for the grand event...  The students find out that they are going to also become recycling superheroes!!!! I have changed the way I make their head bands. Instead of making them ahead of time I let the students use scrap paper, newspaper, and other recycled items to create their own. For the capes I went to the local fabric store and found whatever green fabric was on sale or was left over. It does not matter what it looks like. (You could even ask for old green shirts from home to reinforce the reusing concept!) I cut them into small strips about 8 inches wide and 24 inches long. I DO NOT SEW ANYTHING! I just buy safety pins and pin them right to their shirts. In less than 20 minutes our whole class was transformed into recycling superheroes!!

DO NOT forget one for you!! :)


ready to save the planet!!




Our school custodian even came outside to cheer the students on and tell them how great it is to keep our school clean and helped us with what to recycle. 



More pictures coming soon.. As Earth Day in our class continues!




0 comments:

Post a Comment